Transurethral Resection of the Prostate
This procedure is done in patients who have a hard time emptying their bladder, with obstruction symptoms but no evidence of cancer.
It is a minimally invasive procedure done on patients who have obstructive prostatic growth. This procedure has different variations in the technique. It can be monopolar, bipolar plasma, laser, and holmium enucleation. At Costamed, we have the newest techniques and technology. The bipolar plasma is fantastic because it cuts and coagulates at the same time; this improves symptoms in one day depending on the size of the prostate. It is usually a minimally invasive procedure. When the surgery is done through the urethra with an endoscopic technique, the patient can leave the hospital the same day without a catheter.
Mandatory Requirements Not included:
- Pre-Surgical Tests Required
- Blood Chemistry
- 4 Chemistry Parameters
- 37 Chemistry Parameters
- Complete Blood count (CBC)
- Coagulation Times (PT, PTT, INR)
- Internal medicine pre op evaluation (per the urologist’s evaluation)
- (Extra Pre Surgery Analyses – Consult With Your Doctor)
Planning the procedure
- Telemedicine or in-person evaluation consult.
- Medical history form.
- Pre-surgery analyses.
- Choose a date that fits best with your work schedule, family commitments, vacations.
- 8 days recommended for recovery
We help you plan your trip
- Preferential transportation rates
- Preferential hotel rates
- Preferential tour rates
- Pre-arranged packages
- 2 hours in the operating room.
- The procedure requires one day of hospitalization.
- General anesthesia.
- Come to the hospital with comfortable shoes and clothes.
- Small suitcase for the patient and accompanying person.
- Recovery takes 8 to 10 days; the recommendation is that you return to your normal activities in 3 weeks.
- Take all medications as indicated.
- You may shower the following day.
- Do not lift, push or pull anything weighing over 10 pounds or 4.5 kg. at least for one week.
- Avoid swimming, soaking in a hot tub or jacuzzi until your doctor indicates you can do so.
- Do not smoke or drink (ask your doctor about the required post-surgical time).
- No forceful exercise for 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.
Dr. José Medina Saldaña
- General Practice License: 436291
- Specialization License: 0001681