Peridural infusion pump
It is refilled every 4 to 8 months depending on the pump’s capacity and the dose is adjusted to patient’s needs since it is programmable, depending on the activities and schedules. Thanks to this, pup users have a significant relief, with fewer side effects than with oral medications and it can be remover or replaced with a permanent implant when the patient wishes it.
Planning the Procedure
- Telemedicine or in-person medical evaluation.
- Clinical history form.
- Pre-operative analysis.
- Choose a date that fits in with your work schedule, family commitments, vacations.
- Choose a destination: Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.
- We help you plan your trip: Preferential rates for transportation, hotels and tours; we have pre-arranged packages.
- The doctor will make an incision and create a surgical pocket to lace the pump (in the abdomen) and a second incision in the back, both attached with a catheter.
- It will be placed near the surface of the skin for easy filling with a syringe.
- Done in 2 hours in the operating room.
- During the 2-day hospitalization you will be under doctor’s observation.
- General anesthesia.
- Come to the hospital with comfortable shoes and clothes; no makeup and no accessories.
- Bring a comfortable change of clothes and personal hygiene items for the patient and accompanying person.
Recovery takes 2 to 3 weeks. The recommendation is to return to your normal activities in 6 weeks’ time.
- Take care of your scars and take all medicines as directed by your physician.
- We recommend no sun exposure for three months.
- You can shower the following day, taking care of the incisions; wash and dry gently.
- Do not apply any lotion, oil or cream that has not been prescribed by your doctor.
- For one week, do not lift, push or pull anything that weighs more than 10 pounds or 4.5 kilos.
- Do not drive until you have stopped taking the medication or until the doctor instructs it.
- Put the seat belt without compressing the area where the pump was placed.
- Avoid swimming, soaking in a hot tub or jacuzzi until your doctor says you can do so.
- Try to wear comfortable clothes
- Do not smoke (ask your doctor about the required post-surgical time)
Dr. Eduardo Rubio Ruiz
Anesthesiology, Pain Clinic Director
- General Practice License: 3736850
- Specialization License: 7440295
Dra. Sandra Marlith González Moreno
- General Practice License: 7514456
- Specialization License: 10624974